MrMoonPie
   
Open links in
new window
Monday, March 01, 2010

DC gay marriage begins tomorrow Wednesday!


DC will begin accepting marriage license applications from all beginning on Tuesday, March 2 Wednesday, March 3. They've released the gender-neutral application. As with all DC marriages, couples must indicate their officiant (or opt for a civil ceremony) at the time of application. There's a 3-day waiting period before the license can be picked up, and a longer wait for civil ceremonies, due to scheduling issues.

Going by the example of California (and other municipalities), it seems like a good idea for folks to get hitched as quickly as possible, to minimize the effects of any future revocation. Regular readers know that I went through the trouble to get registered to perform weddings in DC, and actually hitched our friends Jim and Angela in August 2007.

But how do I let folks know I want to help (pro bono, of course)? I've considered going down to the courthouse tomorrow Wednesday and handing out cards, but that might look sketchy. eviltiff and I got some fleeting fame in the community due to the sign we carried at October's National Equality March--any way to leverage that?

Update: Me in the Washington CityPaper.

Update: I'm working with a couple to try to be (at least one of) the first out of the gates on Tuesday, the 9th.

Update: Two couples now!

Update: Three now, with possible TV coverage!

Update 3/3/10: Seven, with TV coverage confirmed.
 

6 Comments:

I'd be happy to interview you about this for my blog (I write on sex & gender issues in D.C.) If you're interested, send me an email (ahess@washingtoncitypaper.com) or call me at 202-332-2100 ext. 269.

Amanda

By Anonymous Amanda Hess, at 2:11 PM  

Thanks, Amanda!

By Blogger mrmoonpie, at 4:01 PM  

Mike,

I think what you are doing is so fantastic and I'd love to take you up on your offer.

I wont be able to apply for a certificate tomorrow but my partner and I most likely will on Friday. We would love if you could officiate for us. I am sending you an email with my contact information.

-Scott

By Blogger Wedding Party, at 9:42 PM  

Hi there! I have been trying to find an email address to get ahold of you - but cannot.
We are going to pick up our license today and would love to take you up on your offer! Please email me at therinaldifamily09@gmail.com

By Blogger Unknown, at 6:55 AM  

Correctly your article helped me very much in my college assignment. Hats afar to you enter, intention look progressive in behalf of more related articles soon as its sole of my favourite question to read.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 PM  

Mike Newman please contact me regarding performing a same sex marriage in D.C.? nthkyou@gmail.com

By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

 

contact     Powered by Blogger        edit